Saturday, October 8, 2016

Appreciating Yourself

How does it feel to fail so often, in such a visible way? Sometimes it sucks. But looking back I do appreciate my persistence. I must've picked hundreds, if not thousands of times in my life. Let's say I've been picking for 20 years, an average of once a week. That's over a thousand times. Talk about an ingrained habit. Don't get me started on scars. But after all that time, I still haven't given up on a) being able to stop, and b) having functional, protective, if not beautiful skin. And I don't think I ever will. I pick my skin, but I do not just pick my skin - I work every day on not picking my skin.
"Finding your own true nature is one continuous mistake, and rather than that being a reason for depression or discouragement, it's actually the motivation." - Pema Chodron paraphrasing Suzuki Rossi in The Wisdom of No Escape

No comments:

Post a Comment