Wednesday, August 21, 2013

The First 28 Days

I completed my 28-day-vow not to pick at my skin. Though I wasn't able to keep the vow perfectly, and stop picking entirely, I'm grateful I managed to get through the month without any very damaging picking sessions. Actually, I only picked a few times.

My skin looks pretty good. I can wear short-sleeves and shorts without shame now. I wish I didn't have the scars I have, or the bumps I have, but I can live with them.

I won't take another vow unless I find it's necessary. I hope I can keep in my current frame of mind - I feel more positive than I have in a long time and am not suffering from as much doubt or anxiety about my future.

I think some of the reasons I've been able to make progress in stopping picking are: 1. I wasn't happy with where my life was and knew I needed to make some changes, 2. I'm on vacation, so I'm not as stressed as usual, 3. With regards to my relationships, I've been trying to focus on what I have and am grateful for rather than on what I'm missing, and 4. I've been exercising more, which has improved the way I feel about my body.

Timing was definitely important. I've been wanting to stop picking for a long time, and I've known that it's bad for me, but somehow the many factors that could make stopping possible just hadn't come together for me. Today I will try to enjoy a small feeling of accomplishment and allow myself to hope that my picking will continue to diminish over time.

No comments:

Post a Comment