Friday, June 15, 2012

The Sunshine Vitamin

I've been feeling under the weather for awhile. Through blood tests my doctor found out that I have a vitamin D deficiency. Since I've worn long-sleeves and long pants for years (to cover up picking scars) it's not too surprising. You need to expose your bare skin to the sun to make vitamin D. I work indoors, and though I do try to spend some time outside everyday, apparently the only time you can make vitamin D is in the middle of the day, when the sun's rays are at their strongest.

A vitamin D deficiency can make you feel worn down and fatigued. Vitamin D is necessary for your body to absorb calcium and to build strong bones. There's a good chance low vitamin D levels are what have been making me feel so tired, and perhaps why I've often had back pain. Not having enough vitamin D can also apparently also make your skin feel a little "weird," according to my doctor.

This week I started taking a high dose of supplemental vitamin D to try to correct my deficiency. Unfortunately this seemed to make me feel even worse - for two days I was so fatigued that it took all my energy just to get out of bed. I did some research online and read that when supplemental vitamin D makes someone who's deficient feel worse it could be because their magnesium, zinc or vitamin K levels are low too. I was willing to try anything, so I started taking supplements for these as well.

Today I am finally feeling a little better. Unfortunately, while dealing with these issues, I haven't regulated my picking very well. I picked my arms quite badly yesterday while watching some tv, have picked at my face in the mirror several times over the past few days, and have been scratching at my face and scalp. I feel bad about this but guilt won't do me any good now. What I need is to start over, and to be patient and vigilant with myself.

Tomorrow I will start focusing on not picking again. Right now it's time to get some rest, and to call it a day.

No comments:

Post a Comment