Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Molehills Aren't Mountains, Really

Today I bought a high-quality comedone extractor from the drugstore. In the evening I took a warm shower, disinfected my skin and the tool with some alcohol, and tried it out. It was actually a very funny experience. When I placed the tool on my skin it immediately became apparent that I had grossly overestimated the size of my blemishes. First, I had trouble locating anything to extract. Then, when I focused in enough to find some small dots, and tried the tool out on them, nothing happened. I rocked the tool all over my t-zone area and my chin, and about the only place anything actually came out of my pores was in the creases around my nose. What came out wasn't disgusting, as I'd dreaded - it was just a small amount of normal, un-intimidating whitish sebum. So what is a comedone extractor good for, in fact? Mostly, it seems, keeping things in perspective. Hello, and goodbye, body dysmorphic disorder. It doesn't seem I'll have much use for the tool, other than pulling it out every time I need a reminder that no, things really aren't that bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment