Thursday, May 24, 2012

Red in the Face

I got a decent 8 hours sleep last night but today has been a struggle. I've been waiting for a coworker to give me information I need to move forward with a project at work. I'm also learning lots of new things, which can get overwhelming at times. Not to mention I'm kind of distracted by the prospect of potentially leaving my current job to go back to school in a few months. Anyway, as a result, I've wasted quite a bit of time at work absentmindedly browsing the web and trying to sort through work emails, during which I have this annoying tendency to feel for bumps on my scalp, face, and upper chest, and to scratch at and squeeze some of those bumps. I was startled when I went to the bathroom and saw a red, blotchy face starting back at me in the mirror. Yikes!

About a month ago I found myself doing something similar in a training class. During the mid-morning break one of my classmates saw me and asked me if I was having an allergic reaction. That was embarrassing. I had to say, "No, I was just touching my face, my skin's sensitive."

Of course touching my face isn't as bad as concentrated picking sessions are, but I would like to stop all forms of picking, not just the worst ones. I'm wondering if a better solution for me is to find something else to occupy my hands at the times when I would typically touch my face, or to try to dissipate some of my excess energy. I've noticed that sometimes when I'm really focusing on something, I get tense and don't breathe as deeply as I probably should. Perhaps if I made a more conscious effort to relax and breathe while concentrating I would be able to leave my hands in one place. It's worth a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment