Sunday, July 1, 2012

Daily Count

I've decided to put a daily count of the bumps/spots/scabs I've picked/squeezed/scratched up on the blog. I added a text box to the upper-right side of the blog for this purpose. I know it's kind of awful, but I think it will help me to 1) pay attention and 2) see if I'm doing better or worse over time. I intend to update the number at least once a day and more often on days when I'm particularly struggling.

I tried to start keeping track of my daily count via blog posts a few days ago, but I thought the resulting posts were very boring. So, I moved the count to a text box. The disadvantage of this is that it will be harder to keep track of my progress over time. I will probably try to note down the previous day's number (offline) when I put up the next day's. Of course, my goal is not just to decrease the number over time but to get it down to zero and keep it there.

I also noticed that there were a few challenges with counting. For instance, how could I count the times when I scratch my face or scalp, bite or pick at my lips, scrape at my cuticles, or pick at dead skin around my nails? I do these things almost subconsciously throughout the day, and counting them seems impractical to me. I've decided that I'll try to become more conscious of these actions and to reduce them but won't worry about trying to count every single instance of them. After all, at least in my case, it's the focused picking that does the most damage.

No comments:

Post a Comment