Sunday, July 29, 2012

Sleepless Night

After a good Saturday in which I was able to sleep in, I couldn't fall asleep last night. I made it through the day without picking other than scraping and pulling at my cuticles, a real accomplishment. However, once I got into bed late last night, I just couldn't turn my brain off. With the lights off, I started feeling for and scratching at bumps on the backs of my legs, scalp, face, and stomach. Unfortunately, rather than helping me to unwind, this made me even more tense. I think I finally drifted off around 3 am, after two hours laying there. This morning, rather than sleeping in again, which I thought might translate into another sleepless night tonight, I woke up around 8 am. I started off the day trying to scrub the bathtub but banged my elbow on the faucet really strongly. It really hurts so I'm trying to take it easy, and follow the RICE routine - rest, ice, compression, and elevation. Luckily the Olympics are on so I can just chill out on the couch with my arm raised. I had so much I wanted to get done today, but what can you do?

I don't normally include bumps I scratch at without looking at them in the Daily Count, because that's not how I do the most damage to my skin. I don't want scratching to become a replacement for picking, though, and last night I scratched quite badly. So this morning I tried to count how many bumps I scratched at last night; it wasn't too hard because there are still red marks or scabs there.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous29/7/12 11:56

    I can relate, as usual, to all you wrote. I scratch a lot and I find it even more dangerous than picking, right because you don't need to look at your skin while doing it. Therefore, I indulge myself in scratching most of the time... Sometimes it happens to me to scratch into the bed, but I try to contrast that feeling by reading some good books (novels) before sleeping. This helps me a lot! I wouldn't survive without books!
    Hope your elbow doesn't hurt anymore. Enjoy the Olympics!

    Ottilie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous30/7/12 21:57

      My elbow is almost back to normal, luckily. I am loving the Olympics. Will have to be more vigilant about scratching and try reading more! Take care, M

      Delete