Monday, July 16, 2012

Between Worlds

For the past several days I've had this feeling of being in between worlds. Soon I will be leaving my job, moving, and going back to school. I've been trying to do a little bit every day to prepare, but I'm starting to get overwhelmed with all the details. It's been difficult for me to concentrate at work, and I'm having trouble unwinding at night. My plan to get 9+ hours of sleep a night has not materialized.

I anticipate that going back to school will be very challenging. I'll likely be the oldest student in my class, and will probably have been away from school the longest. I enjoy studying and will try to make the most of this opportunity, but I'm a little concerned about having enough energy and confidence to really excel.

I've told my employer that I will be leaving soon. I've also started corresponding with my new classmates. I think that's adding to my feeling of being not quite here and not quite there.

In between necessary tasks I've been distracting myself with trifles - watching tv and movies, mostly. I think I need to take the time to answer some important questions, like: What really matters to me? How will I define success as a student? What do I want to accomplish in school? Where do I hope to end up after school?
I suppose I also need to reflect on what I've learned from my current job and how it's changed me.

In short, I need to start getting mentally prepared for the next stage of my life. At the same time, I need to take care of my physical health - eat consistently well, get extra sleep, exercise regularly, and limit my picking.

Given how exhausted I feel today, I think I'll tackle my sleep deficit first!

No comments:

Post a Comment