Sunday, July 8, 2012

Patience with Scabs

I have been doing much better over the last several weeks. I've reduced my picking substantially. I'm by no means reformed - when I see a bump, I still feel the urge to pick - but on most days I've been able to resist. The Daily Count shows that I'm still picking at a handful of bumps every day, but typically this either occurs when my attention is scattered, or when there's a bump just too good to pass up.

Since the weather here has been extremely warm, I've been wearing short sleeves on most days. I wear pants to work but almost always wear shorts at home. I try not to look at my skin too much. Not only am I concerned about seeing something I'll want to pick at, but my skin really doesn't look that great. My arms in particular are badly scarred. There are also several scabs on my arms where damage from my last picking sessions is healing. There are lots of small scabs on my face too, since I tend to scratch at my face throughout the day, especially when I'm reading.

I'm trying hard to be patient with my scabs. I'm looking forward to the day when I'll be able to run my hands over my arms and feel a smooth surface. I actually thought that might happen sooner, but these scabs are taking their time. It's a bit of a challenge not to scratch at the scabs when I feel them. I try to remind myself, though, that they are helping me heal, and I should just let them be.

No comments:

Post a Comment