Sunday, July 1, 2012

Must Get More Sleep

I am a night-owl. I love staying up late. I love the nighttime because it's dark, quiet, and cool. It's also the one time of day when I really feel like my time is my own. I feel most energized soon after dinner.

Being a night-owl does not work with my current work schedule. I need to be at work in the morning. Because I stay up late and have to wake up early, I do not get enough sleep during the week.

Getting enough sleep is important in regards to skin picking for at least two reasons - it helps my body heal, and it helps me maintain self-control. Staying alert, aware, and in control is hard when you're tired.

I envy people who wake up refreshed after getting 6 hours of sleep. I need more like 9 hours. This may just be how I am, or it may be because my body has to work extra hard to repair the damage I do to myself. I eat well and get a reasonable amount of exercise, so I don't think my diet or activity level are factors.

Because I'm tired of feeling tired, I've decided that I'm going to make a real effort to get enough sleep. This is going to be a serious struggle for me. On the weekend, I can sleep in, but during the week, I'm going to have to go to bed earlier. Given that it takes me at least 15 minutes to fall asleep, I'm going to try to be in bed at least 9.25 hours before I need to wake up to get to work on time. Now that the longest day of the year is over, it will start getting darker earlier, which should help. I hate Daylight Savings Time, by the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment