Sunday, July 22, 2012

Shantideva on the Body

When I'm struggling to accept my body the way it is, I try to bring to mind this quote from The Way of the Boddhisattva by Shantideva:

"Therefore, free from all attachment,
I will give this body for the benefit of beings;
Thus, though many blemishes afflict it,
I shall take it as my necessary tool." (Meditation, Stanza 184)

I also find this one helpful:

"Regard your body as a vessel,
A simple boat for going here and there.
Make of it a wish-fulfilling gem
To bring about the benefit of beings." (Vigilance, Stanza 70)

These quotes remind me that it's not how my body looks, but what I do with it, that matters most.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous23/7/12 12:31

    wow! amazing! It's one of the most inspiring reflection about body feeling I've ever heard of! it happens to me to think something similar when I practice some sport. During my daily life I forget how important is my body in sustaining me. I will look for Shantiveda on the web to learn more! Thank you very much!

    Ottilie

    ReplyDelete