Thursday, July 12, 2012

Grounding

Grounding is a stress reduction and relaxation technique that I believe most skin pickers could benefit from. I first read about it in the book The Spiral Dance by Starhawk. She has put detailed instructions for grounding online here: http://www.starhawk.org/activism/trainer-resources/groundcenter.html. What I like about grounding is that it doesn't just make you feel relaxed; it also makes you feel balanced, strong, and connected to the world around you. I have been trying to use grounding when I feel myself getting tense, anxious, or just a little too hyper. I suppose it could also be useful when I am feeling low or dejected. I intend to continue practicing it until grounding comes more naturally to me. I really feel it will help.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous13/7/12 10:23

    Hi there! I came across your blog after reading your message on StopPickingOnMe and I wish to thank you for writing here. This is one of the most interesting blogs related to self-injuring behavior I've ever read! I appreciate the way you analyze the urge to pick and relate it to different issues (obsessions, feelings, possible triggers..). I also like the way you write upon it, so clear and precise! I can relate to a lot of issues you have put down and I've benefited so much from reading your journals. Thanks a lot and please, keep writing!! ;)

    Ottilie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous13/7/12 10:52

      Thank you for your comment Ottilie! I really appreciate it and am glad you enjoyed reading my blog. Best wishes to you, M

      Delete